Thursday, April 2, 2009

Greener Shades Dyes......setting up the solutions

Good Morning,

Last night, I set up the dye solutions for some Greener Shades dyes. I have read that they contain no heavy metals and are more earth friendly than some of the dyes I used in my earlier dyeing experiments (20 years ago).

I purchased 6 colors of dye in the 1/2 oz. size from http://greenershades.stillrivermill.com/index.php . They arrived promptly. I want to dye some wool rovings for felting and spinning.

The first step it to dissolve the dyes in water. Each dye container has 14 grams of dye powder. I wanted to make a 1% stock solution, so I needed to use 1400 ml of water for each stock solution. that is 1 gram of dye for each 100 ml of water or 1%.

I found some half gallon canning jars that have a 1500 ml measurement on the side of them, so I used them.

The first step is to "paste" the dyes, which means to dissolve the powder in a small amount of water. I decided to do this outside on my porch. I put a small amount of hot water in each of the 6 jars.

Carefully, I put the dye powder in each jar and stirred it with a chopstick. Each of them dissolved fairly well, except the yellow one, which clumped up....see image below.

I then added cold water up to the 1500 ml line, which I decided was close enough to the 1% solution for me.

No comments: