Thursday, June 11, 2009

Felted Scarf

This week I made a nuno felted scarf.....actually, it turned out only 31 inches long, so it is more of a scarf-let.

First I laid down a strip of silk velvet that has sheer areas around a velvet design, I covered the back with a thin layer of merino wool that I had dyed with Greener Shades dyes. Then I added some border leister yarn that I had spun with lots of texture. Again the wool for the yarn was dyed with Greener Shades dyes.

To finish, I laid a few wisps of wool diagonally over the yarn in random spots.

I covered the wool side with a piece of sheer curtin, spritzed some dish soap and warm water to wet the whole thing and rolled it in a bamboo blind. I rolled this back and forth in the bath tub with my feet, alternating cold and warm water. I finished the felt with several boiling water baths in the bathroom sink.

The whole process took about two hours.

The original piece of velvet was 45 inches long.....the scarf felted down to 31 inches......1/3 shrinkage.

No comments: