Sunday, October 18, 2009

"No Impact" project

This week, I am participating in an experiment called "No Impact Project" (www.noimpactman.com) . (It is based on the blog NoImpactMan, book and film of the same name. Colin Beavan and his family spent a year trying to lessen their carbon footprint down to zero in New York City.

This project takes you through that year of change in one week. Today is "garbage day", you have to collect all the garbage that you make today and put it in a pile. I went to Starbucks this morning, so I started my pile!

Wednesday is Local Food day. That is what I have concentrated on the most. Pictured here are foods that I have gathered from my garden (rosemary, rhubarb and parsley), farmers market (potatoes, apples, cabbage, winter squash and plum) and local Amish Store (butter and cheese). The idea is to eat only foods that have been grown less than 250 miles from your home. Oh, I also found some milk in glass returnable bottles (from Burnt Chimney, VA) at my local supermarket (Kroger) which is inside that limit! I also bought some sorghum (molasses) that was grown and made near here.

1 comment:

libbyquilter said...

this sounds extremely challenging and interesting~good for you for giving it a go~!!~
lovely photos of the experiment too~!!!~

:)
libbyQ